Thursday, November 02, 2006

Make FireFox look like IE7

Old Look
New Look

Yesterday the Windows automatic update installed ie7 on my system and hence i got a chance to use it once again after a long time. I was impressed by the elegant GUI. Some people actually hate the idea of not having a menu bar but not me :D any way.. this triggered my interest for finding out if this look could be achieved in FireFox. Removing the menu was good enough for me. I achieved this by editing the userChrome.css in the %APPDATA%\mozilla\firefox\profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\chrome directory. In this file i added the following lines.

/* Disable all the menu items*/
#go-menu, #file-menu {
display: none !important;
}
#go-menu, #edit-menu {
display: none !important;
}
#go-menu, #go-menu {
display: none !important;
}
#go-menu, #bookmarks-menu {
display: none !important;
}
#go-menu, #tools-menu {
display: none !important;
}
#go-menu, #view-menu {
display: none !important;
}
#go-menu, #helpMenu {
display: none !important;
}
/*Disable the spinner to the top right corner*/
#throbber-box {
display: none !important;
}
/*Specify the minimum height of the toolbar as 1px*/
#toolbar-menubar {
min-height: 1px !important;
padding: 0px !important;
margin: 0px !important;
border: none !important;
}
Once I added these lines to the userChrome.css, i restarted the firefox.. and tadaaaa.. my firefox looks almost like ie7 now :p
Post a Comment